I know it’s been a while since an update, once again I’ve been busy.
At work I’m seconding in a position I hope to one day become permanent in (I work full time).
Our home business is growing in leaps and bounds, as is the time it requires. We’ve taken the shop to a few events recently too which is always a lot of work (but generally a lot of fun too!)
We have 5 and a half acres to maintain. We’re working on renovating our home, getting it up to the building code and extending it (land is huge, house is the size of a postage stamp and built in the 1950s with a ‘she’ll be right’ attitude to building safety. We’re talking stairs with no railings and doors that open into mid-air two stories up people.)
I’ve been growing and doing some exciting work concerning 15th century spinning and my presence at events.
Apparently I still have other hobbies and a life outside all of this- like family birthdays and my parents love me and want to spend time with me and how is it almost June already?
You’ll notice I didn’t mention housework anywhere in the above list. I’m also not inviting you over to my house any time soon unless you’re here to clean. Just saying.
Bu today’s blog post is about the point I glossed over above and referenced partially in the title- growing 15th century spinning.
Last year at Abbey Medieval Festival I had a little 15th century spinning display.
It was a partial success, but room for improvement. One issue is I was really sick at Abbey and not up to talking all day. Another issue was I couldn’t be there all the time and couldn’t see the display when I wasn’t there, which meant every time I left it I had to pack down and set up again.
This year I will have a bigger tent that can be closed, meaning I can leave it. I also have some friends helping me so that there will always be someone there. I’ll have more crafts… including dyeing!
I’ve been experimenting with all sorts of natural dyes, some medieval, some not so, and have been dyeing up a storm.
Which brings me to the title of the post.
I’ve bought a large range of different dyes and am having a lot of fun.
I’ve dyed a bit with cochineal, I have an extract as the shop I bought it from idn’t have the whole bugs.
I’ve managed to get some really red reds from it, some slightly orange reds and some nice pinks.
I’ve yet to get purple. I’ve ordered some actual cochineal bugs and am looking forward to seeing the difference in colour.
I’ve really enjoyed the colours I’ve got from madder and want to order more.
You can see me talking about my results with madder and cochineal in my video.
I’ve also dyed a range of yellows and blues and greens, which I talk about in part two of my video.
Something else which I’ve done recently is attended my first LARP event. I only went for one day (there was a three-way clash that weekend, so I managed to go to two out of three events). I really enjoyed it, it was interesting seeing the role-playing and quests. Some of the costumes were just fantastic. I only spend 15 minutes in the afternoon taking photos so I missed some fabulous ones. For example, there was one group dressed as cats and they had prosthetics on their nose and mouths to make them more cat-like and painted their whole face to look like cats! Just really awesome. So I thought I might share some photos of the LARP below.
So that’s all for today, I know I have some lovley messages and comments to catch up on- I feel bad when I can’t reply to them all so I tend to leave them until I have time to reply to them all… You know how it goes.
But look out for future dyeing posts as I have lots of yarn left to dye and lots of dyes to try!